An Idiot Wizard and a Smart Barbarian Walk Into A Bar...,

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

An Idiot Wizard and a Smart Barbarian Walk Into A Bar...,

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Vrinn hated working with other people. No, scratch that; he hated working at all, full stop. But some jobs he accidentally wandered into required another hand. He should have just said no but it was more or less kind of sort of his fault in the first place, so there was that. He reached down and petted his familiar, who was yipping in annoyance at his side.

"Yeah, yeah," he drawled, stifling a yawn. "We're supposed to meet with him here."

He gestured vaguely towards a cherry tree in the town square. He adjusted his robes as he sat on the ground near the tree. He looked around, waiting patiently. For about five minutes. And then he dozed off, Sylvi at his side, both of them loudly snoring.
Axton
Admin

http://nocishetsallowed.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Idiot Wizard and a Smart Barbarian Walk Into A Bar...,

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 pm

There isn't a lot Arthur hates in the world, but his job is absolutely the highest up on the list. Under the heavy encouragement (more like orders) of his two scholarly mothers, Arthur finds himself in a career path he's not exactly... into. He's awfully good at it, though. He's strong enough to carry the hardest of jobs, much to his chagrin. This was one; a high paying job, but with a partner. Usually the partner never really got to fight, so Arthur didn't usually mind having one on.

When he gets to the meeting place, it looks deserted, for a town square. He approaches the snoring figure leaning against the tree, noticing the stave and fox, bargains idly that this is his man. He tries to wake him as gently as his big hands will allow, but that winds up being a little too strong.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 pm

His staff is at the man's throat before a thought has even crossed his mind. He blinks once, twice and finally a third time before he resheathes it on his side.

Then he yawns.

"Oh, are you my partner?" he says, stretching out his arms. The fox next to him is still fast asleep. "I'm Vrinn the wizard."

His hat has it clearly labeled as well. For clarity's sake.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Arthur almost flinches, but retains his posture, withdrawing his hand. He smiles vaguely, cramming his hands into his pockets.

"I am, yes. I'm Arthur Schuler, of Atrolia." He offers, somewhat meekly for a man of his stature. "It's good to meet you. Are you ready to depart?"
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:15 pm

"Isn't Atrolia that, er, smart people town?" Vrinn asks vaguely, nudging his fox awake with his staff. He adjusts his hat and his robes as he stands.

"So, thanks for the help, I just didn't want to climb the tree, you know?" He says, shrugging. "I'm not really the effort type, more the, effortlessly good looking type if you know what I mean."

He flashed a huge grin at Arthur.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm

"Ah, you've heard of it? It's a research hub for magics, but I never had any magical aptitude myself, despite my family." He turns a faint red at the grin; he's never been very good with outright flirting. "W-Well, I'll take care of it. The location is nearby."
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:33 pm

"Heard of what?" he asks, playing with his hair and looking over at him blankly. "Oh, yeah, I did the heavy lifting of the job, is all. I found the cat, and the tree it's in and everything I just didn't want to like...climb the tree."

He points to the largest tree in the town. There is a distinct meowing coming from it.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Arthur stares into the tree, locking eyes with the cat, who is perched nigh at the top, countless feet above him. He chuckles. He's wondered beforehand why the pay was so obscenely high, and this answered his question easily.

"Well, give me a bit." He huffs, dropping his pack and trappings. The tree is old and gnarled, enough to make the climb much easier than he expected it to be; all he worried about was the cat, really. He reaches it in probably a much faster time than anyone watching expected.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 pm

"Yeah, you just...do you," Vrinn says and he waves as he settles down at the base of the tree and nods off in in the afternoon sun once more. He should be helping. But is he going to? No. Because it's Vrinn.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

The cat and Arthur face off for only a moment; a battle of wills a bard would definitely write about were there one to see it. In due time the cat relents and Arthur cuddles it close and jumps out of the tree branch by branch. The cat, somewhat frazzled but fine, hops out of his arms and slides between his legs back and forth.

"Well. There we go." He snorts.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm

"So it's done?" Vrinn says sleepily, pushing his hat from his face. His hair has fallen over both eyes but he only bothers to correct it so that he can see out of one of his eyes. "Really?"

He looks at the cat and then back at Arthur.

"You really did it?" he asks again.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Arthur flips his hair with a little, soft grin. A couple of leaves fall out of it.

"Is it so strange? It was easy." He says matter-of-factly, then scoops up the cat, who snuggles him. "Let's go get paid, eh?"
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Vrinn smiles again, for a second time that day, which is beyond strange for him. He doesn't think much of it, though.

"So we're splitting it 80/20, right?" he says, hand on his staff at all times, as if it were a sword. His fox was always by his side, matching his pace easily. "Since, like I said, I did all the heavy lifting."
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Arthur outright laughs, a belly laugh he hasn't had in a long time. He pats the wizard's back and grins a little bit cheekily.

"Mm, we'll see about that one, my new friend." The cat meows at him and kneads a not so comfortable place. He takes a weak, sharp breath and tries not to cry, but definitely tears up a little.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Friend. Vrinn's eyes light up. He was definitely gonna get this sucker to do all the work while he did nothing but nap and profit. Perfect.

"What about 70/40 then?" he says. That sounds better, he thinks.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Oh, so he's an idiot; the revelation dawns unto him with the terrible math skills.

"Mm, I don't think so." He chuckles. "I'd hate to discount your work, certainly--how about... 60/50, and I treat you to a drink after?"
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 pm

"Hmm," he hums, thinking to himself. "Only if you buy me dinner, too." He decides.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 pm

"Mm, I suppose I can do that much, in return for your graciousness." He grins. A little too easy to play, he thinks idly, scratching the cats head carefully.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:57 pm

"In that case, I'll meet you at the bar," he says, waving as he walks in the other direction entirely. It actually takes a second for Sylvi to not follow Arthur and to catch up with Vrinn.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Arthur waves him off, trying very hard to stifle a chuckle at how easily he'd managed that; he gets the pay and separates it evenly, even though he has an inkling the wizard wouldn't have really noticed the difference. The cat tries to follow him back out but he eludes it as he ducks out, starting his trek to the nearby bar. He settles in at a booth nearest the door and stretches out his limbs, seemingly still unaffected by the work.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Vrinn sets down two huge tankards of mead on the table, flipping his hair out of the way.

"So," he says, licking his fingers. "Where's my cash?"
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Arthur tosses the bag towards him and it slides against the table a little ways. He grabs his tankard and grins to him.

"Gotcha covered. That pay really was something." He snorts, sipping the mead. It's gross, and he hates booze, but he drinks anyways because he's supposed to pretend to be masculine for this career path.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Vrinn pretends he's nonchalant as he counts his money, but he's so involved in it that he forgets everything else for a moment in time. When he's done he drinks half his glass in one gulp.

"So, what are our plans for our next excursion?" He asks, putting his feet on the table as he lounges. "And, you said you were paying for the inn, too, right?"
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm

"I see we're already at 'our', hm?" Arthur asks, lifting his brow at the man. "I have a room already, if you'd be fine sharing a bed, I suppose. And I'm afraid I'm too hungry to really think it over just yet."
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 pm

"What's mine is yours," he says, licking his lips. "Except for my money." Incidentally his money was the only thing he owned. He didn't even technically own his clothes; they were borrowed.

"Augh, no," he says, wrinkling his nose. "You can sleep on the floor, I'll take the bed. Oh, yes you're right; I'm starving, where's that promised dinner?"
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top