All In The Past

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

All In The Past

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Alvin and Jude had been friends for six years now. Alvin was thirty-three years old and still single. The last time he has been interested in someone was...six years ago... it's not difficult to put two and two together but Alvin refused to see it no matter how many times Yurgen and Balan pointed it out.

All of that was in the past. 

That was why when Jude had turned twenty-one he hadn't thought twice about accepting his invitation to go out drinking. It would be fine. He could be alone with Jude, even a bit drunk, and be absolutely fine because he didn't have feelings for him anymore. 

Alvin was running nearly thirty minutes late because he had spent far too long getting ready for what was decidedly just two friends hanging out. Habit, he tells himself, it's just habit to want to look good for Jude. When he finally steps into the bar in Duval he scans the room until he finds Jude.

"I, uh, sorry about being late," he smiles and runs a hand through his slightly tousled, slightly graying hair (which was slightly more tousled than normal). "Yurgen needed something last minute."
Axton
Admin

http://nocishetsallowed.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: All In The Past

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:44 pm

It doesn't bother him at all that Alvin is a little late to drink with him. It definitely doesn't make his chest tighten with anxiety that maybe he got stood up by his best friend. Because that's all they were. Friends. Just friends, not two people who would take crushing blows for each other, not two people who made out six years ago in a private room in an inn, not two people who still eye each other when they think the other isn't looking.

Just friends.

Those feelings are long gone, he tells himself, sipping at a strawberry soda with rum. Completely. That why this is fine, anyways. That's why it's completely fine he's dressed better than he's ever thought about dressing for something so casual. And when he sees Alvin in something almost equally nice his heart definitely doesn't skip a beat.

"No, y-you're fine. Hope you don't mind me starting without you." He gestures to his drink and smiles a little bit.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:53 pm

"Nope, serves me right for being late," he jokes as he sits across from him.

It's been a few months since they last saw each other, what with how busy their mutual lives are. And yet, Jude seems even more mature than ever. He still remembers what he looked like when they'd first met; fresh out of med school, running from the authorities and entirely innocent. He tries not to remember much about that year of his life, or really anything before it, but it's impossible not to let his mind wander to those times when he sees Jude looking so grown up.

He orders himself a beer, his typical gourmet, way too expensive for what it is brew and then turns his attention to Jude.

"So. How have you been, kid?" He asks, smiling at him.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:59 pm

Jude clicks his tongue and shakes his head at getting called 'kid'. Even now, Alvin still sees him that way, he thinks, and it disappoints him a lot more than it ought to. It shouldn't at all, because he shouldn't wish Alvin could see him as an adult. And he doesn't. Definitely. He sips his drink to stifle those thoughts.

"I've been alright. Spyrite's being incorporated a lot faster than expected, but I can't help but feel like there's so much more I could be doing for our countries." He sighs and leans back in the booth, looking up at the ceiling. "But that's just me being bored, I think." He grins a little bit. Alvin looks way better with silver hair than he thinks he does, Jude thinks to himself.

Last edited by sirenangel on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Same old Jude; ever the workaholic. Not that he was one to talk. 

"Come on, you've earned a bit of a break," he says, honestly worried about Jude some days. Most days, if he's being honest. If he hadn't known he would be seeing Jude he would have sent his typical check up text just to make sure he had eaten at least once today. "Besides, you pretty much singlehandedly saved the world from dying a slow, painful death. You can at least be proud of that."

Unlike Alvin, whose achievements were basically, hadn't died yet and somewhat successful fruit salesman.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Compliments like that don't usually get to him, but for whatever reason (maybe it's the alcohol, even if his drink is light he's drank over half of it) that one turns his face a soft pink.

"It... It wasn't just me, really." He sheepishly responds and turns away for a moment. He's never really enjoyed being in the spotlight, but he can't deny that it feels nice to be appreciated. He takes another sip, smiling over to Alvin, even if he's still pretty flushed. "...Are you doing okay?" He changes the topic pretty quickly.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:21 pm

"Me?" He leans back in his seat and he's glad for the distraction of his drink getting there to allow him to mull it over. He takes a sip of his beer and contemplates. "Work has been busier than ever now that things are slowly but surely starting to grow in Elympios. We're having to shift our business design in order to accommodate for the changes happening. It's been..." he sighs. "Honestly? A nightmare."
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:26 pm

"Sorry I made your life harder." He smiles warmly, even if it's a pretty bad joke, it's nice to know his work is going well, even if it's hectic. "After six years of it, do you think you like your work?" He asks, genuinely, leaning in a little bit and resting his chin on his palm to possibly get a better look at him in the dim light. Something about him now is... more handsome than he really remembered him being. He tries to push it out of his mind, rolling his tense shoulders. Those feelings are in the past, where they should be.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:44 pm

"You should be, it's been a real mess," he teases back, but there isn't an ounce of resentment in his voice. In fact, it's almost openly affectionate he way he teases him. "You know? I do. It sure beats being a mercenary."

He sighs but it's a content kind of sigh. He had missed Jude's company. It was relaxed and nice and not at all awkward, at least that's what he told himself even as he accidentally brushes his leg against Jude's. He apologizes and shifts so it won't happen again, pretending it hadn't caused his heart to jolt.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:47 pm

When he touches his leg he definitely jolts a little bit, too. It was totally just an accident, he tells himself and shakes his head to dismiss it, mumbling a little 'it's fine' and averting his eyes momentarily.

"I told you that you could do it." He says, and though it's matter-of-fact he genuinely means it. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't proud of you." To be around him again after a long period of work, for both of them, means more than he can say.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm

"Ha," he almost snorts. The last thing he needs is Jude feeding his pride. "I know, I know, you told me so." He's grateful, even if he won't show it openly, that Jude pushed for him not to give this up. 

He pushes his now empty glass away and orders another. Is it the best idea? No. Is he going to do it anyway? Absolutely.

"So, how has Balan been?" He asks, hoping to change the subject. "He never talks to me now that he has you, you know. Guess I'm just boring in comparison."
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:00 pm

He orders another drink too, having finished his other. Alvin didn't seem to say anything about it, so he doesn't either and calls it permission enough. He was paying for himself anyways, so he figures it won't matter too much. Hopefully.

"Balan is Balan, like always. He's chatty as ever and loves to talk about stuff that doesn't involve him. But he's doing good, even if he complains about doing good." He smirks a little bit. "He said 'to say hi to Alfred for me'." He swirls the leftover ice in his drink with the straw idly, trying not to stare.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:07 pm

"Well, that's good," he says and he leans back in his seat, folding his hands behind his head. "Although I have to admit, I'm kind of glad he's stopped bothering me so much. There's only so much I can deal with him complaining about things that make no sense to me."

He knows he shouldn't but he eyes Jude as he talks. He really does look more mature now. His jaw had gotten stronger, and he had grown a smidgen taller than before. He had outgrown his boyish charm and grown into a handsome young man. Far, far too handsome for Alvin's comfort.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:11 pm

"Well, he complains to me now." He grins a little bit at the idea. It isn't as if he actually minds too much when Balan complains; it's usually a pretty valid complaint and tends to get things done more often than not. But even valid complaints get old when they're all you hear. "I have to be honest, I'm really glad we've gotten over the hurdle of distribution. I like the maintenance part a lot more."

He only catches his eyes for a second, but that second is long enough it makes him turn a faint red and avert his eyes.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:20 pm

"Well, now that you're less busy with work you can spare more time for your best friend, right?" He teases lightly. He wants to say how much he's missed him but he won't admit that so openly; maybe after another drink, though. "Which reminds me, how are you enjoying finally being able to drink? Tried much yet?"
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:23 pm

"Definitely, we need to see each other more often." Maybe the wording of that is a little... much, but he means it, and the buzz in his head isn't helping his bluntness. He gets a fresh glass and thanks the waiter, sipping it. "I like it, though. It's weird, and I don't know that I'd do it all alone, but it's nice to be able to feel like an actual adult. It also gives me an excuse to bother Rowen more often." He grins a little bit. And an excuse to see Alvin more, too, but he stays shut up about that.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Alvin chuckles. Rowen could use more young company around; Gaius wasn't the most youthful company to keep.

He slides over his drink.

"Here, you probably won't like it, but try it anyway," he grins at him, eager to see Jude's scrunched up face when he tastes it.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 pm

"Ugh. Fine." he grumbles, but tests the beer anyways. It's not pleasant, but the lack of a burn automatically makes it better than the stuff Rowen made him try. He frowns, crinkling his nose a little bit. "...Like old bread." He determines, and hands it back off. "Happy now?"
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Alvin grins. The look on his face had been even cuter than he'd hoped for.

"You can't be a real adult unless you drink beer, you know," he teases, taking a drink from his own glass again. The rim tasted faintly of Jude's fruity drink. He bets Jude's lips taste the same, and his tongue, too...

He moves the glass so he's drinking from a different spot, instead.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 pm

"I'll just be an adult who doesn't drink beer." He decides firmly. He's almost... disappointed when Alvin drinks from the other side. He doesn't really know why, but it makes his heart sink just a little bit. He shuts out those thoughts not for the first or last time tonight and takes a longer drink of his own drink. Though, he pauses, and smiles a little bit coyly over to him, and offers the drink towards him. "...Do you want some? It's good."
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:09 pm

"What is it?" He asks but he accepts it anyway and takes a drink. Ah, strawberry soda with rum. He should have expected as much. It's better than he expected and he passes it back, licking his lips. "I should have known you'd like rum; it's sweeter than most hard liquor."
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:12 pm

"I guess I kind of get why people would like hard liquor, but I think it's pointless if it tastes gross." He shrugs a little bit. It's hard to avoid focusing in on Alvin's lips, but it's what happens anyways. He doubts it seems subtle but he's inebriated enough it doesn't matter anymore. Maybe his feelings aren't so far gone anyways. He sips at the straw, maybe a little more than pleased to have an indirect kiss.
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:21 pm

If Jude thinks he's being subtle, he isn't. It makes him shift uncomfortably in his seat, trying to focus on anything but Jude. He wasn't in love with him anymore and this would just be a drunken mistake. Jude deserves better, like he had deserved better than the hurried make out session they had shared all those years ago. Why that's come to mind now is beyond him but he can't stop thinking about it now. He's over Jude, his feelings are old and gone.

He pushes his now empty glass away and orders his third and last drink for the night. If he drinks any more, well...he had a tendency to get handsy after that. And that was something he'd rather not expose Jude to. 

"Well, you know, that's part of being an adult, too, you know; figuring out what you like," it seems awfully pointed when he words it like that, and maybe it's just the alcohol talking, so he falls quiet.
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirenangel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:28 pm

"What I like, huh..." He mumbles, only barely audibly. What does he like, indeed? Is it Milla? They'd kissed once, when she was visiting from her position as Maxwell to congratulate him on the success of his research. She was warm and sweet, but it only lasted a moment and made them both laugh like it was ridiculous or something, and agreed things were better the way they were. He'd cared for Ludger, but Ludger didn't feel the same way, not that he was cruel about it, not even at the end.

If you eliminate the impossible, what remains must be the truth. That principle. Only Alvin remained. He snaps back to reality with a jolt a moment later after a period of introspection, and he smiles a little bit to him. He could blame it on the booze, but Alvin knows he's always like this.

"Sorry for that. Got stuck on a thought again."
sirenangel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 pm

"Mm," he purses his lips and takes a drink from his glass. "No wories."

But Alvin was indeed worried. Jude had a habit of zoning out, sure, and it had given him an opportunity to openly gaze at him but that had only made things worse. He wasn't in love with him anymore, right...?

Alvin knew it was the worst time to be dwelling on it, but he couldn't help it. Jude was right there in front of him, all he would have to do reach over and...

He stands up suddenly and waves at him.

"I'll be right back," he says and he makes a quick escape to the alleyway just outside the bar. He slumps against the wall and calls Yurgen for moral support. It's almost midnight so he'll have to owe him one but it's important. 

Predictably, it sounds precisely like he was sleeping as he answered.

"Alvin," Yurgen says groggily. "...if this is about Jude, I'm going to hang up on you. How many times have I told you-"

Alvin groans. "Look, I just, I'm thirty-three-"

"Nobody. Cares. Just do it. Good night, Alvin."

And then silence. Well. That went about as well as he'd expected. 

He makes his way back to his seat somewhat sheepishly.

"I, uh, Yurgen needed...something," It's the worst lie he's ever told, easily. "Sorry."
Axton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top